What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small text file that is placed on your computer, tablet or smartphone during your visit to a website. Information is stored in this text file. This information can be recognized by this website at a later visit. And sometimes another website can also read the cookie and store information in it. Some cookies are necessary. Because the website does not work otherwise. There are also cookies that are useful for the visitor. For example, because he remembers in which language you want to read the website. But many cookies are used to keep track of what you do on the internet. For example, which pages you have looked at.
However, you can disable cookies on this site and on others. The most effective way to do this is to disable cookies in your browser. We recommend that you consult the Help section of your browser.
Disable cookies yourself in your browser?
This way you can block cookies in Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome and Safari.
If you do not want websites to place cookies on your computer, you can do that yourself by changing your browser settings. Below you can read how you can disable cookies in the different browsers. (But don’t forget that cookies are sometimes necessary for a website to function properly.)
- Click on the “Tools” button and then choose “Internet Options”
- Click on the “Privacy” tab
- Find the “Settings” section and move the slider up
- Click on OK
- Click on the Firefox menu in the menu bar and choose “Preferences”
- Click on the button with the text “Privacy”
- Under “History” you will see: “Firefox will”, followed by a selection menu; in this drop-down menu choose the option: “Use custom settings for history”
Uncheck the option: “Accept cookies from websites”
- Close the “Preferences” window
- Click on the “Tools” icon on the Chrome toolbar (this is a pair of pliers)
- Select “Settings”
- Click on “Show advanced settings”
- In the “Privacy” section, click the button that says “Content Settings”
- In the section “Cookies” choose the setting “Block cookies by default”
- Click on “Safari” and choose “Preferences”
- Click on the block with the text “Privacy”
- Behind the option “Block cookies” you choose: “Always”
- Close the Privacy window